Talking points – contacting Congress
The following are talking points for constituent calls, emails and letters to Congress
- As a constituent, I am asking you to support federal legislation to protect wild animals in circuses.
- There is a growing public concern about the treatment of wild and exotic animals abused in traveling circuses, as evidenced by thousands of letters generated to the USDA, Congress, and the President. Americans are becoming increasingly aware that circus animals suffer from violent training techniques and severe confinement which are unavoidable due to the constraints of constant travel on the road
- Traveling circuses cannot meet the physical, psychological or behavioral needs of wild animals, due to severe confinement, physical and social deprivation, long periods of time in transporters, with brutal control methods and physical violence.
- Animals are forced to perform tricks through physical violence, fear, intimidation, emotional deprivation and withholding of food and/or water.
Public Health and Safety
- Keeping stressed, large and dangerous wild animals close to the public in lightweight, temporary enclosures has proven disastrous. Workers and members of the public have been killed and maimed; lions, tigers and elephants have all escaped.
- It is estimated that around 12% of Asian and 2% of African elephants in North America have tuberculosis (TB), a disease transmissible from elephants to humans.
- Enforcement of animal welfare legislation and local ordinances is fraught with difficulties due to the transient nature of traveling circuses. By the time evidence is gathered and prepared, the circus has often moved on. The practical difficulties of compliance, inspections and associated time and costs, justifies a restriction.
- Circuses must change with the times. Human only circuses are thriving. Cirque du Soleil now has 19 shows in 271 cities, generating an estimated $810 million a year. Whereas the wild animal traveling show, Piccadilly Circus, recently canceled performances across Southern California due to poor ticket sales.
- In 2012, Cirque du Soleil appeared eight times in the top ranking international shows alongside Madonna and Lady Gaga world tours (Top 50 Highest Earning World Tours in 2012). Not a single animal circus made the list.
- Circus workers perform multiple roles; staff can be retrained, so jobs are not lost. ADI observations of the 2012 Ringling show in Los Angeles revealed wild animals formed just 13 minutes of the two hour performance. Circus Vargas removed their animal acts and the business continues. Surveys have shown that a decline in animal circuses can be matched by a rise in circuses with human performers.
- 45 countries around the world have adopted national legislation prohibiting or restricting the use of wild and exotic animals in circuses, with hundreds of local bans in place worldwide – over 200 in the UK, and hundreds in Europe and South America, as well as Asia.
- Please work within Congress to prevent wild animals from suffering in traveling circuses here in the United States.
Please end traveling around with animals in cages, let people watch animal films instead of tigers and lions in their natural territories. Imagine you are a tiger in a cage.
I am doing everything I can to protest. I will call my SENATOR, REPRESENTATIVE, send whomever I can.
I will also send postcards to Whitehouse. I just retired, and hope to spend more time as an animal activist.
Please stop allowing the exploitation and abuse of these animals.
please stop the suffering of these circus animals, it is crule how they are being treated,you have the power to do this that is why we vote you in.thank you.mrs leigh
please end and ban wild animals from suffering in traveling circuses here in United States . This is wrong and inhumane ways for wild animals life , please don’t hurt them , they has feeling and right , same to human , please respect and responsible animals feeling and alive , this is important and necessary , give kindly love and heart , Thank you
I can’t believe how suffering to these poor animals is allowed ! I say poor because they are defenceless against this cruelty and for what !money! Shame on them and shame on the people who could stop this ! Do the right and stop this. You will earn more respect.
PLEASE STOP USING ANIMALS FOR ANY FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT TO HUMANS!!!
ITS NOT NATURAL! ITS NOT HUMAN! ITS JUST WRONG!!!
PLEASE STOP USING ANIMALS FOR ANY FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT TO HUMANS!!! USING ANIMALS FOR LAB TESTING ALSO NEEDS TO STOP … IT IS A VERY INHUMANE ACT .. THEY LIVE THEIR LIVES .. IN CRAMPED CAGES .. TRAVEL CARS (TRAINS) .. ABUSED .. PROADED … IT IS SICKENING TO SEE WHAT THESE ANIMALS HAVE TO ENDURE ON A DAILY BASIS!!!! PLEASE STOP THIS INSANITY!!! IT’S TIME TO BE HUMANE TO THESE ANIMALS AND LEAVE THEM IN THEIR OWN ENVIRONMENT … STOP .. STOP … STOP MISTREATING GODS CREATURES .. WE ARE THE HUMAN SPECIES .. WE CAN ADVOCATE FOR OURSELVES .. BUT THE ANIMALS CANNOT … PLEASE … PLEASE … LET THEM LIVE FREE!!!!!!
ITS NOT NATURAL! ITS NOT HUMAN! ITS JUST WRONG!!!
Please don’t just consider it ban it all together.
My name alejandro Ariel Dintino…
I asked you with respect, please no more animals on Circuses, Aquariums, and Zoos… God created this beautiful beings to live with freedom in the nature. And not to be behind the bars I to do stupid tricks for the entertainment of THE HORRORSAPIENS… I hope you can understand my point… Animals deserve respect they came first to this planet…. Human being must take care of all creatures created by God. We can’t lie to our children anymore guys… Kidnapping Captivity, Slavery IS NOT EDUCATION,, So please don’t let any businessman HORRORSAPIENS make business on innocent animals and please Ban all wild animals in the city… God would appreciate that, , this planet need a big change… WE ARE THE CHANGE!!!
I totally agree with what you have said…animals are creations of God and it’s up to us to take care of them, not hurt or mistreat them. People need to be reminded of how important and precious all of God’s creation is to Him!
Thanks for your comment!
Please stop portraying and encouraging to adults and children that this travesty of exploitation and cruelty is acceptable by bring circuses to your cities. We, as a Nation, are finally developing a conscience where animals are concerned. If circuses have no business, they will either go out of business or change their cruel ways.
Please stop the abuse and exploitation of animals.
No wild animal should be kept in in circus, wild animals isn’t for entertainment.
But its all about the money, so hard to fight against money.
That we have to beg our elected officials to protect animals from the abhorrent abuses in circuses, road side zoos, private ownership by voting in favor of a law that would provide a foundation for doing so is archaic. To beg our elected officials, our employees, to pass a law that would serve as a moral compass and build the legal framework for those holding wild animals captive is disgraceful in a country that boasts compassion. There should be no need to convince any lawmaker on any level that cruelty is cruelty, abuse is abuse, neglect is neglect whether the victim is human or non human. It’s time that empathy and kindness are extended to non humans. To cast a negative vote is to prove ignorance on the subject of the cruelty that is circuses and road side zoos. A “no” vote is an endorsement for the hidddn savage treatment animals suffer in these venues.
BE THE FIRST TO END THE MADNESS!!!